This excerpt is from my cousin, Shridhar Rao's 'about me' (about himself, damn!) on orkut. I can relate to this story very closely. This is for all my friends from Terna :-
"
Now, I’ve been waiting a very long time to write an article on this. It is an article very close to my heart. Note: - The article is close to my heart, and not the topic concerned. As you might have guessed already, it is a vile form of exercise (or expression as is the current fad) called dancing. (By now, I must have already received lots of hate mail.) And you might have also guessed that I hate exercise.
Before I begin this narration, I would like to say that this is a personal opinion and you have every right to detest me for it.
Scene Of Crime: - My Uncle’s House.
Day: - Bhai Dooj or Bhau Beej (Mind the typos)
I am sitting on a couch, trying to avoid all those eyes staring at me. I tap my feet to the music, wishing I were a million of miles away and oblivious to all the noise. All my cousins are dancing their hearts out. Suddenly, I hear footsteps coming my way!
I start sweating, and try to stop breathing in case someone hears me. Then out of nowhere, an arm grabs me and pulls me to my feet. To my horror, it is my cousin asking me to stop acting like a retard and start dancing.
I gulp and stand up. This is the worst part. My muscles seize up. My knees feel like jelly. I just stand there looking like I lost my way to the toilet and ended up on the dance floor. Fortunately, no one is interested to see me dance/try to dance.
I slink out of the pack and make my way back to heaven.
I wonder why it is such a crime to hate dancing. In India, dancing is a socially approved way of getting to know people. Now, the real problem is when a person can’t move his/her body like a snake(read Hrithik Roshan) or try to enact all those slick moves out of Bollywood movies. This is what happens to me at parties and/or social gatherings. Is it so necessary to be able to dance? When I tell people that I can’t dance, people just can’t keep their jaws from dropping or making some sarcastic comment. (Not that I can’t hold my ground at sarcasm.)
But it is really irksome when people try to decide what you have to do. I mean, it’s not as if it is the end of the world (reminds me of an REM song) if I can’t dance. It’s just like saying that all Christians hate Jews. (Which is not true)
So, I guess people should stop scorning other people if they can’t dance. Not being able to dance doesn’t mean you are un-cool or a nerd, it’s a personal choice. Just hope people read this and sympathize with me."
"
Now, I’ve been waiting a very long time to write an article on this. It is an article very close to my heart. Note: - The article is close to my heart, and not the topic concerned. As you might have guessed already, it is a vile form of exercise (or expression as is the current fad) called dancing. (By now, I must have already received lots of hate mail.) And you might have also guessed that I hate exercise.
Before I begin this narration, I would like to say that this is a personal opinion and you have every right to detest me for it.
Scene Of Crime: - My Uncle’s House.
Day: - Bhai Dooj or Bhau Beej (Mind the typos)
I am sitting on a couch, trying to avoid all those eyes staring at me. I tap my feet to the music, wishing I were a million of miles away and oblivious to all the noise. All my cousins are dancing their hearts out. Suddenly, I hear footsteps coming my way!
I start sweating, and try to stop breathing in case someone hears me. Then out of nowhere, an arm grabs me and pulls me to my feet. To my horror, it is my cousin asking me to stop acting like a retard and start dancing.
I gulp and stand up. This is the worst part. My muscles seize up. My knees feel like jelly. I just stand there looking like I lost my way to the toilet and ended up on the dance floor. Fortunately, no one is interested to see me dance/try to dance.
I slink out of the pack and make my way back to heaven.
I wonder why it is such a crime to hate dancing. In India, dancing is a socially approved way of getting to know people. Now, the real problem is when a person can’t move his/her body like a snake(read Hrithik Roshan) or try to enact all those slick moves out of Bollywood movies. This is what happens to me at parties and/or social gatherings. Is it so necessary to be able to dance? When I tell people that I can’t dance, people just can’t keep their jaws from dropping or making some sarcastic comment. (Not that I can’t hold my ground at sarcasm.)
But it is really irksome when people try to decide what you have to do. I mean, it’s not as if it is the end of the world (reminds me of an REM song) if I can’t dance. It’s just like saying that all Christians hate Jews. (Which is not true)
So, I guess people should stop scorning other people if they can’t dance. Not being able to dance doesn’t mean you are un-cool or a nerd, it’s a personal choice. Just hope people read this and sympathize with me."
Comments